Register as a Client
Having trouble filing your tax returns? Never filed a tax return before? Don’t have time to file?
Have no fear! The ASA tax volunteers are here!
Register to be a CVITP client and you will have your tax returns filed by dedicated volunteers trained by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and SFU Accounting Student Association (ASA). The ASA CVITP team filed over 800 returns last year, preserving the benefits and financial entitlements for over 1,000 members of the SFU community as well as providing peace of mind for these individuals in meeting their tax filing obligations.
- Single Person with an annual income of $30,000 or less.
- Couple without dependents combined income of $40,000 or less.
- Single Adult with dependents combined income of $35,000 or less.
- Additional $2,500 for each dependent.
- Individual with less than $1,000 investment income.
Volunteers cannot prepare tax returns for:
- Those with employment expenses, business or rental income/expenses.
- Those who are self-employed (owns a business).
- Those who have deceased returns.
- Those who have returns claiming capital gains or losses.
- Those with major investments/RRSP/stocks/mutual funds/RESP.
- Those with investments outside of Canada.
- Those who filed for bankruptcy.
Client applications for 2022 are currently open for a limited time, on a first-come, first-served basis. Tax will be filed March 15 – April 22. Apply before March 31 at 11:59 p.m.
The registration form can be accessed here.
For any questions regarding the application, please feel free to reach our Project Managers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register as a Volunteer
The SFU Tax Program, “Students Offering Support” is a non-profit student-run initiative that aims to provide support and assistance to SFU students and low-income individuals in filing their Canadian tax returns. The Tax Program is a great opportunity for volunteers to gain experience and give back to the community by learning and applying knowledge about the Canadian Taxation Rules.
Registration is now closed. We are no longer accepting new volunteers until 2023. To stay updated with our opportunities, follow our Instagram @sfuasa and Facebook page @SimonFraserASA